How can we expect to feel and be creative when the voice in our heads keeps rambling on about our doubts, flaws, and failures? How can we ask for acceptance, fairness, kindness, and compassion from others when we seem incapable of thinking, acting and speaking to ourselves in a positive, loving way?
The voice with which we speak to ourselves, that judgy and critical voice that spreads negativity about our work and our self the loudest comes from the inside. When we listen to that destructive self-talk on-repeat every day, we rob creativity of the fertile ground it needs to grow.
- Self-affirmations offer a path to practice and embrace a positive way to nurture our creative potential. It peppers our days with opportunities to refocus our mind’s attention toward what is possible and what we are capable of.
- Self-affirmations are a way to ease ourselves out of the negative habit of indulging in self-pity, self-defeat and self-sabotage.
- Self-affirmations are daily spoonfuls of self-empowerment.
If or when that negative self-talk starts to unravel, stop, breathe and say kindly and assertively to yourself one of the 10 positive self-affirmations listed below. Do this with intention. Believe you have the power to create your own destiny, that you can fend off or halt the influence of any negative emotion brought on by unkind thoughts toward yourself, your work, your life. You can choose to place your attention on a positive track and give a boost to your creative energy.
1. I am entitled to follow my bliss.
2. I love and accept the creative person I am today.
3. I am open to receiving creativity in my life in any shape and form.
4. I release the heavy burden of perfectionism and aim for authenticity.
5. I am proud of the lessons from my past and embrace my personal story.
6. I choose to think, act and speak with kindness and compassion.
7. I have all the tools I need to create in my mind, my heart and my hands.
8. I will let creativity flow through me freely, break all chains and blocks.
9. I will use everything that has been placed in my path as a creative gift.
10. I embrace my creative soul and release my creative potential.
Remember, mistakes will be made, things won’t turn out the way we planned and we’ll let self-doubt creep in, but choosing to practice and believe in our positive self-affirmations will train our minds to think about these events and circumstances as something temporary, something useful, something positive. I believe in you.
Gabriela Gotay is a freelance writer, indie author, and blogger trying to live her best creative life. She writes motivational pieces about writing, self-publishing, self-care and self-empowerment for creatives at The Creative Confidential. She loves sharing ideas and resources to add a dose of creativity and entrepreneurship to our work and life.